Harrison County Diabetes Programs
Dining with Diabetes Program
What is Dining with Diabetes?
- A program designed for people with diabetes and their family members.
- A series of three classes that includes learning, demonstrations, and tasting of healthy foods.
More information can be obtained by calling the Harrison County WVU Extension office at 624-8650.
Diabetes Prevention ProgramThis is a program for People who are Pre-Diabetic
Group Lifestyle Balance™ is a 10-month, 22 session evidence-based program in which participants work toward achieving 2 Primary goals:
1) Increase physical activity to 150 minutes weekly.
2) Lose 5-7% of body weight.
In this program a lifestyle coach works with participants by providing education and assistance to achieve these goals. Participants are
monitored and required to attend group sessions.
Eligibility criteria to be eligible for the program, a person must:
- Be at least age 18
- Have a BMI >24 kg/m2
- No previous diagnosis of diabetes
- Be able to participate in at least 150 minutes physical activity per week
- Have pre-diabetes or be at high risk for pre-diabetes/diabetes
- Impaired Fasting Glucose (100-125 mg/dl) OR
- Impaired Glucose Tolerance (2-hour, 75g
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test 140-199 mg/dl) OR
- A1c 5.7% to 6.4%
Your Role as Participants
- Commit to a change in your diet and physical activity habits
- Attend group sessions regularly
- Monitor your daily food intake and physical activity for the duration of the program
- Track and record information for the program
- Work toward achieving program goals
Our Role as Lifestyle Coaches
- Set goals for participants with lifestyle changes in diet and physical activity
- Provide education and tools that enable lifestyle changes
- Lead group sessions and answer questions
- Monitor weekly progress
- Provide encouragement and counseling to overcome obstacles
- Encourage participants to achieve their goals
Please call Becky Smith at the Harrison County Extension office for more information at 304-624-8650.